If you visit Puerto Rico and and most Latin American countries, you’re likely to try this popular side dish. Platanos Maduros is the perfect salty, sweet, caramelized complement to savory Latin rice and meat dishes. My mom made some mean fried sweet plantains on xmass day. Enjoy.
- 3 large ripe plantains, peeled and bias cut into 1-inch thick slices. Plantains must be very black skinned!
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil (to cover half the thickness of plantains in the pan)
- Your plantains need to be very black, so black you think you should throw them out.
- Peel and bias cut (diagonal) into one-inch thick slices. Heat the oil until medium hot -- a drop of water will sizzle.
- Fry the pieces briefly, about a minute or two per side. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, turning occasionally until they are brown and caramelized.