I learned the art of pizza making at the amazing SaltBox Farm. Takeaways included:
- For complete fulfillment, you have to make the dough and pizza sauce from scratch.
- Get an array of ingredients so you can make a wide variety of pizza combinations!
- Sautéed leeks, butternut squash, and pancetta is one heavenly combo.
Homemade Pizza Dough
Author: Jim Lahey, Saltbox Farm
Recipe type: Pizza
Delicious homemade Pizza using homemade pizza dough, fresh tomato sauce, delicious toppings. Pizza done with love.
- 500 Grams (about 3 3⁄4 cups) AP Flour
- 1-gram (1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 16 grams (2 teaspoons) fine sea salt
- 350 grams (1 1⁄2 cups) water
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until all ingredients are well incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise at room temperature until more than doubled in size. Depending on the temperature this could take 10 to 18 hours.
- When ready, turn the dough onto a floured board and divide into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a round by first folding it towards the middle from all four sides, turning it over seam side down, and rolling it into a nice ball. Place on a floured sheet pan to rest for a few minutes, covered with a damp cloth. If the dough is sticky during the process, dust with a bit of flour.
- To save in the fridge for later use, wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap for up to 3 days.
- Roll dough out by pressing it with you fingers on a well-floured surface to about 6-8 inches. Lift the dough and gently stretch it out with your knuckles, rotating as you go until gravity helps to stretch the dough to about 10 to 12 inches. It is now ready to be topped.